Monday, 20 August 2012

The long journey to restore Mai-Star II Part II

After the first year of restoring Mai-Star II, there was a laid off for a few months while other work had to be done for other clients and Mai-Star II took a back seat. Then when the spring came and weather improved and the longer days were here, I was able to fit a few hours in around my other work. The first job was to removed what was left of the old deck. Check the deck beams, Carlin's & the gunwales and the top of the top planks for any damage or rot. Surprising there was no rot in any of the major parts, this was a blessing as I was not looking forward to removing any of the major parts as this would put the project beyond reason in terms of making good sense to restore.

Having passed that major problem and not having to renew any of the major parts, I started about refitting the year and making the boat watertight from above. Unlike before this new deck would be a lot lighter and less likely to leak than the old one, as this was made from 5inch by 1 inch T&G softwood. The new deck is 12mm marine plywood and scarf jointed together so it would be one complete deck without any joints that could leak and cause water to get into the lamimates of the plywood. this was glued and screwed to the deck beams and carlins and gunwales as welll as the deck so making a watertight seal from above.

Once that was in place then the whole of the deck was sanded and keyed up to be cover with deck  matting and which was fixed in place by coating it with epoxy resin and sealing the plywood.
Then this was covered with deck paint to seal the epoxy from the weather.

Then I turn my attention to the inside and started to paint out the inside of the boat first with International Primicon primer. the boat had three coats of this and then three coats of undercoat before finailly have three coats of white gloss to finish off.

Next job was to start fitting out the interior with new bulkheads and the rest of the bits needed to make it a yacht again.